Wednesday, 15 February 2012

It’s all About Me... And my plants... And my little girl...


I am a mum of a beautiful girl who is the sunshine of my life. I want to spend as much time with her as I can, which is why I found it difficult to return to my job in London. The days were just too long, I’d wake her up, take her to the child minder, collect her, feed her and put her to bed. I worried that I’d wake up one day and it would be her Eighteenth birthday!  

I have turned to the life of the “Mumpreneur”. I began managing the commercial side of my husband’s new landscaping business from home and as time has gone by I have found that my thoughts have become increasingly entrepreneurial so I also do my own bits on the side to maintain a sense of independence. From a young age I have been interested in Horticulture. I have a BSc in it, so when we moved into our house and inherited a greenhouse it was inevitable that I would begin nursing vegetables and flowers from seed. I hate rejecting excess seedlings and in our first year I ended up with a little more than I could manage. I always fancied the idea of setting up a small nursery and now here is my chance!

In addition to this I have developed a keen interest in nutrition since weaning my daughter. I spend a lot of time preparing meals for her, my husband and myself and have ideas to generate an income from this in the future.

Life as a “Mumpreneur” is not an easy one. I’m constantly juggling conflicting demands. The need to gain some financial security versus meeting the needs of your child, especially those of attention which will directly affect your child’s confidence levels later in life. Then there is pressure from the hubby who doesn’t physically see the work I do during the day and thinks I have it easy...

I also get up to other stuff – I volunteer at the Children’s centre and help run weekly buggy walks, I run a monthly child-friendly networking club for other likeminded “mumpreneurs”, and I love to go running. I’ve still got a bit of baby weight to shift so for motivation I’ve signed up for the London Duathlon and plan to climb Helvellyn this year. I’m bizarrely addicted to EA Sports Active 2. My heroes are Chalene Johnson and Jillian Michaels. My favourite fictional character is Eden Sinclair (Doomsday) and my celebrity crush is and always has been Ewan McGregor, but I also like Tobey Maguire.     


Through this blog I hope to vent my challenges and celebrate successes. I hope it will serve as an inspiration to other working Mums and of course promote my enterprises and showcase the vegetables and flowers I grow and sell in my spare time.   


1 comment:

  1. Like you Helene, I cannot let anything die, all sticks with green on them get given a chance to grow by me. Good luck with your new venture

    ReplyDelete