Friday, 17 February 2012

Quinoa stuffed peppers... a successful experiment

My little girl isn’t a fussy eater, she’ll generally eat what she’s given. If she’s not too keen on something, or dislikes the texture, or simply gets bored of it too quickly, the meal will take a longer time to feed and a higher proportion of it will end up on the floor because she’d rather play with it than eat it.

It is definitely worth making a note of culinary successes. To date my most successful meal has been an Annabel Karmel cheesy pasta recipe which always gets eaten very quickly and last night I finally saw my little girl eat something else just as keenly! 

 
I had some peppers in the fridge that were about to turn all wrinkly so I decided to stuff them with cous cous. So I cut the “lids” off the peppers and removed the pips and set aside and went to get the cous cous. Panic… where’s the cous cous gone? Ah yes, I remember I finished it a few weeks back! What do I do? I don’t have time to make rice because I have to go out running in an hour… then I had a lightbulb moment – I had some quinoa I’d tried to have instead of rice as part of one of my many crazy diets in the past. I located it and it was not drastically past it’s best before… as I was cooking it I became concerned about it being a little bland, so I mixed in some cream cheese and caramelised red onions. I stuffed the peppers and put them in the oven. 



I had some leftover quinoa and decided to give it a try (I always eat after running) and it was very yummy but I love food and most things are yummy to me! The ultimate food critics in our house are my husband (he once went without dinner at all because he hated my vegetable biryani so much) and of course my little girl, who will feed it to the imaginary dog on the floor if it’s not up to scratch. Sadly my husband was unwell but little girl loved it! She kept nodding with approval and saying “mmmmmmm”. Success!

Unfortunately my husbands headache deteriorated and I was unable to go out running, but the delight from seeing Jessica enjoy my food dampened my disappointment. I did an extra workout on EA Sports Active 2. I chose the cardio advanced workout and it was really hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment