Friday, 9 March 2012

A new morning routine to feel better


I have to admit that I perceive my lifestyle as too busy to look after myself properly but actually I’m just lazy! I’m not too bad, I have the discipline to get up and exercise but I don’t currently make time to dress myself nicely, fix my hair and apply make-up. Every time I drop little girl off at the childminders as early as 8am she has make-up on, is always dressed nice and looks lovely, and then there’s me. I look older than my 31 years with my messy hair, uncovered Rosacea and dodgy spare frames because my nice glasses broke ages ago!

Currently I get up, have a drink of water, exercise, shower, put on whatever I can find (don’t bother with hair, makeup and contact lenses), pack little girls’ bag, wake her up, take her to the childminders, come home and work, leave it far too late to think about prepping lunch until I’m so hungry I eat something not as enjoyable as I could have, and the day goes on until 5 when I return to the childminder to collect little girl.  


My list of ideal things to do in the morning is to; 

Snack and drink water (approx. 5 minutes)
Prep lunches (approx. 20 minutes)
Exercise (approx. 45 minutes)
Shower (approx. 10 minutes)
Dress, style hair and apply make-up (approx. 30 minutes)
Eat breakfast (approx. 20 minutes)
Pack little girls’ bag (approx. 10 minutes – takes ages to decide what clothes to pack)
Get up little girl, change her nappy and to go to childminder (approx. 10 minutes)

  
I currently do 70 minutes of the above and I wake up at 6.30, get little girl up at 8 so somewhere I’m loosing about 20 minutes faffing about which I should apply to the ideal list containing an extra 70 minutes worth of activities. So with 20 minutes already available to use better, I think I’ll start with waking up 50 minutes earlier and attempt the list and see how it goes. Realistically I should round it up to an hour to allow for a degree of error in estimating the approximate timeframes. I also think I should move lunch prep to after getting dressed because there will be more time pressure to get it done efficiently whereas exercising is a set timeframe and getting dressed is often quite regimented, but food preparation is not so it would be easy to exceed the allocated timeframe.

 
Obviously until I crack it, I’ll have to test it on days that little girl does not go to the childminder so we are not late. I need to commit to doing it every single day so that it becomes an all-time habit, not just for days that I work.

In order to make it work I need to do a small bit of reverse engineering, I need to include the lunches in my meal plan and groceries to ensure I have what I need to do it. I also need to buy in the first thing in the morning snacks such as extra bananas.

 
It will be interesting to see how I cope with 5.30 am starts and whether I manage to make looking after myself better a habit. Watch this space!  

1 comment:

  1. Why not do a little evening routine too. Pack Jess's bag the night before, pack lunches and leave them in your fridge. Lay out the clothes you want to wear for the following day and your already half way there!

    ReplyDelete