Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Inspiration for dinner

Where do you find your inspiration for dinner? Do you make a list of meals before going grocery shopping or do you improvise with what you've got? 

I usually make a list of meals and ingredients I need before I go grocery shopping and I use a selection of favorite cookery books to help me choose which ones. Even still I find it hard to choose and make sure that what I am choosing is healthy i.e. not too much red meat and plenty of fish, can you have too many pasta-based meals in  week etc. 


This week is different. We went to the store and picked up a load of foods we liked and now it's down to me and my imagination. It's harder than I thought it would be. We have got salmon, beef mince and cod left in the freezer (I buy in bulk from the chiller, then separate into portions and freeze). We have already had all three in the last week and I simply don't fancy any again just yet so I decided we should have something meat-free tonight. It seemed to take an age for me to decide what to make and eventually I came up with Frittata, Ratatouille or a simple jacket potato with something liked mixed barbequed beans. 

I like the idea of going meat-free once a week and then thought it would be a good idea to have a "meat-free Monday". I then wondered what other cool foodie day names I could come up with for the rest of the week. It actually took me the duration of my lunch to complete it and here goes: 

Meat-free Monday (i.e. Frittata, Ratatouille, Vegetable Chilli)

Traditional Tuesday (Sausage & Mash, Fish & Chips, Cottage Pie) 

Wheat (or other grain) Wednesday (Pasta, Pizza, Risotto)

Thirsty Thursday (Poor I know, but I was really struggling so this is a soup or hot pot day)

Fishy Friday (Poached Salmon, Breaded Cod, Haddock Fishcakes)

Spicy Saturday (Curry, Chilli, Fajitas)

Saucy Sunday (Pesto, Gravy, Hidden Vegetables) 

I'm not fantastic with words and I'd love to know if you can come up with some other ideas for foodie day names, I would love to hear what you come up with! It might help me to get a bit more inspired when it comes to deciding what's for dinner! Please do post comments/ideas below... 

No comments:

Post a Comment