Friday, 6 April 2012

My 1st 10km race & I'm fixed!

Last week was the final week of my beginners' group with the Thrift Green Trotters. We were meant to run 6miles, but some people in my group were wearing their gadgets and they recorded a distance of nearly 7! For the last 2 miles I felt really tired and slowed my pace down a little until our group leader, Keith, caught up with me and encouraged me to put a little spring in my pace. He's a really good motivator. I don't know how he does it, he's not remotely bossy like some kind of boot camp leader but gently encourages you to do your best.

We were quicker than usual to cool down after the run because that evening was the club AGM. One of your group members, Paul, had organised a gift for Keith and our other leader, Allison and I had been nominated to present it, and I also won best newcomer trophy! It was tricky to stand up to do both because I was wobbly from the run! 

The next morning I woke up feeling like a mannequin which was scary because we were due to do our first 10km race on Sunday to celebrate graduating from the beginners programme and I didn't want to miss out, so I phoned the local Osteopath practice for an appointment for a sports massage. I was lucky enough to get fitted in for 2pm and I used the opportunity to discuss a reoccurring pain I've suffered when long distance running for about 5 years now. Trevor quickly diagnosed the problem and "fixed" me with a good crack! 

I recovered in time for the race on Sunday and completed it pain-free! I got a stitch on both sides (not at the same time), had a panic attack as I had to over take a young girl on a horse, and sadly I was sick when I finished, but I did it! In approx. 1hr09mins. I was absolutely thrilled, and even more thrilled to wake up in the morning a little sore but pain free! Hooray! 


 

1 comment:

  1. well done hun. Whats a little bit of vomit between friends!

    ReplyDelete