Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Pancakes

This morning was a challenge - I was out of milk so that meant no cereal, no porridge and no scrambled eggs on toast! If it were just me I'd have yoghurt with Total 0% yoghurt with organic honey and ground flaxseeds but today I have little girl, and I don't think she'd like that too much. 

I don't know where the thought came from, but I remember seeing in various recipes that you can substitute buttermilk for yoghurt so I thought I'd have a go at making some healthy pancakes.

So I looked up a buttermilk pancake recipe on google and got working. I mixed 125g wholemeal flour with 1 egg and approx 250ml of yoghurt. it was a bit on the stiff side as the yoghurt was thicker than buttermilk, so I added another egg (extra protein) and a little water. 

When I'd reached the desired consistency I added a little maple syrup because I've read that it's better for you than sugar. I did this because adding it as a topping would make little girl get too sticky! 

I put coconut oil in the frying pan and got cooking. They were lovely and thick like american pancakes and when the first one was ready I topped it with strawberries and cut it up for little girl and then started frying my own while it cooled slightly. 


Tasting time! I think I'd added a bit too much yoghurt because they were a bit tangy. I thought that they'd probably have been a bit nicer with lemon than strawberry, but little girl enjoyed hers - she only dropped one piece on the floor!  

While I was munching away I remembered that I had a carton of Almond milk in the cupboard! I bought it when I wanted to try a few Jillian Michaels recipes. Whilst I loved it in my porridge oats, I hated it in my tea and coffee. I wonder what it would be like in pancakes.... watch this space, because it will be my next experiment! In my opinion, one of the best things about cooking is experimentation and learning as you go along. I've definitely had a my fair share of culinary disasters and I daresay I have a lot more to come, but I like to think I learn from them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment