Monday, 23 July 2012

Is television bad?

I have noticed that it is becoming quite trendy to dislike the television. I've now heard quite a few people make comments.

I was quite shocked. To say you dislike television is quite a bold statement, pretty much like saying you dislike music, there are so many genres that there's something for everyone. Not to mention the educational impact of television. For some it's the most efficient way of knowing what's going on in the world, particularly for people like me who do not have to commute to work and are juggling too many roles to have time to pick up a paper or surf the BBC website.

Opon reflection I can understand the downside to television, unless you've got it on the the background while you do a billion other things it can turn you into a "couch potato" and distract you from other, more healthy pastimes.

Even I wrote in a previous blog post that I need to spend more time playing with my girl in the evening when everything is done instead of watching TV so I guess that without realising it I too have jumped on the anti-TV bandwagon, yet at the same time I contradict myself by using it as a baby sitter when I need to prepare breakfast in the morning. I even sky plus "In the Night Garden" becase we're sure as hell not ready for the bedtime routine as early as 6.30pm!

I have to admit that if it were not for my husband we wouldn't have sky TV at all in the house, I think it's a complete waste of money but he insists on it for the fishing programmes! If it was just me I'd scrap sky in favor of 4OD and iPlayer on the playstation. I love choosing what I watch and when. The trouble with Sky plus is that you need to know what you want to watch in advance. I don't think I've read the TV listings since I left home at 17!

I don't think I'm anti TV and I certainly wouldn't join this trend of selling my big flat screen in favour of streaming through the PC monitor. I like watching TV through the playstation but I certainly agree that too much can make you lazy and miss out on the more important things in life. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment