Monday, 6 August 2012

How I cured my PMS

The summer before I had my daughter I suffered from terrible PMS every month to the point I'd try to break up with my husband every month because I felt so irritable. I went to see the doctor, who agreed to prescribe the contraceptive injection to stop my periods. This was my idea, I thought it would put an end to the PMS but it didn't work. The chemicals turned me into a constant grumpy cow for 12 weeks. 

Shortly after the injection wore off I fell pregnant with my daughter. It was an uncomfortable pregnancy and I carried her late. Desperately uncomfortable with SPD I tried everything to bring on labour - curries, raspberry leaf tea, nipple stimlation (TMI, sorry!) and I bought a lot of evening primrose oil because it was 2 for 1, but after the labour I stopped taking it.





When my daughter was about a year old I decided it was time to start looking after myself again now that I didn't have to bother with the faff of formula milk & sterilising anymore. I bought a bottle of Multibionta and decided to take the remining Evening Primrose Oil capsules at the same time as they were there.

My periods became lighter and less painful. I didn't make any connection until I ran out of the capsules and they became painful again so I bought some more. I also noticed that I had been feeling a lot less tense & irritable.

As mentioned in a previous blog post, the latest module of my Nutrition course covers fats. It turns out that Evening Primrose oil is a source of Omega 6, an essential fatty acid which assists with the production of prostaglandins responsible for regulating hormones.

This makes perfect sense. That summer I was particularly suffering was the summer we went to Ibiza and in the forthcoming months I had severly restricted my diet. I must have restricted it to the point that I wasn't getting enough essential fatty acids.

The sad thing is how quickly the doctor prescribed chemicals rather than exploring my dietary background. I guess the medication must be cheaper for the NHS than the paid time of a professional.

It makes me all the more keen to get qualified and help people.

No comments:

Post a Comment