Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Top ten ways to deal with a bad mood

It's been a tough week. I won't go into a boring rant, but it made me think about the things that make us feel happy in life and I thought I'd brainstorm some ideas to feel better when in a bad mood! I'm sure this has been done countless times before and I won't do any research as it might cloud my thoughts so here goes... Top ten ways to feel better straight from my heart...!


1. Talk to someone. When I'm having a tough time sometimes I mull it over with my sister. She's particularly brilliant at trying to make me see situations from other points of view. But remember that friendship is two way, don't become the depressing friend and always be willing offer an ear in return.

2. Play with your children or pets. My daughter is the sunshine of my life, playing with her and seeing her smile makes the daily grind all worth while.

3. Read a novel. Escape to a fictional place for an hour or so. 

 
4. Watch your favourite movie and indulge in your favourite treats. More escapism. 

5. Book a holiday / short break / commit to a date to visit a relative or old friend you've been missing. It's nice to have something to look forward to.

6. Have a night out and dance! Dancing is a great way to live in the moment and forget about things for a while.

7. Dress appropriately for the weather and go for a lovely long walk. I find this is particularly wonderful in extreme weathers. There's something liberating in getting your heart rate up and feeling cosy in your chunky knit on a bitterly cold day or enjoying a cool walk in the breeze of the sea air on a hot day. It will also give you a chance to mull over what's bothering you.


8. Exercise at an intensity that works for you. If you need to vent some frustration go for a hard run or lift some heavy weights. To mull things over try a gentle swim or a jog.

9. Pamper. Exfoliate, paint your nails, apply a face pack... even better invite a friend and try suggestion #1 at the same time.

10. Make a plan and deal with the issue head on. Sometimes the best way to deal with a problem is to just face it. Break it down into small manageable steps in which to overcome the problem and move on. All you need is a pen and paper and your thoughts. Try asking someone you trust to help you brainstorm.   

What things do you do to cheer yourself up? I'd love to hear :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment